Wednesday, September 16, 2009

To start

For a long while, beginning a blog has been far down on my mildly organized To-Do list.  It didn't work its way to the top, but a few days ago it jumped there.  I'm not sure why.

Here are some initial thoughts on this thing.

This blog is not going to be very well written, because, as any of my friends will happily tell you, I struggle with words and the organization of such into clear, articulate, meaningful sentences.  This blog is also not going to be radically creative.  I personally know some super duper creative people, and I'm not quite there yet (yet, I hope.)  This blog is not going to be cool or hip, and it certainly won't be dressed appropriately.  And, sadly, it will probably have a weak attempt at humor occasionally, but most likely you will do more chuckling at me than my half-assed comedy.

I imagine this blog will be an arrangement of ideas, thoughts, and questions I have.  It will waltz around blind, without a focus or theme.  I will try and be strikingly honest and awkwardly open.  I'll also post interesting things I come across or am exposed to.  I'll try and make it worth at least skimming.  

Here are some reasons I'm doing this.  As I'm sure is the common experience - crazy shit bounces around in my head and heart and in between.  I usually try and set some time to brainstorm how to express these things using film.  This works well for only some ideas.  I also write in a journal.  But I've been thinking - writing in a journal is like dancing alone in a closet.  Its probably good for you, but it's not helping anyone.  Dance where others can see you, and you make people smile.  And while I don't think many people will read this, and probably nobody will very often, I bet someone, at some point, will read some specific post of mind and it will help them.  Or maybe they will be in a position to help me, or respond in some way, or provide an answer.  At the very least I'll get Joel or Kevin to make fun of me, and it will probably be funny.

Other ground rules - many of these posts will not be edited - meaning I might write a post while under the influence of something - and not go over it later.  Call me crazy, but I know it will be more interesting if I don't worry about making a perfect post, or even a mostly coherent one.  I've got no one to impress, and no worry about succeeding.  Perhaps one night I write something incredibly stupid.  Oh well.  On many nights I definitely am incredibly stupid.

Like tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment